Skating and Life

People often ask, what has skating taught you ; well, it taught me lotsa things compared to team sports or martial arts. For example bein a team player ; of course i didnt have tag my friends hands for him to do a trick/stunt on my behalf but i had to cover the road so that he could land that trick/stunt and dont get hit by a car or get ready to take a punch from the guards, taught me how to trade, well of coz not in a large scale like forex and all, but you got to start somewhere.

The most important of it all was to get up and not give up, each time i fell, i'd whine or throw a tantrum, fcuk im quiting , fcuk it hurts, fcuk this is not what i want but i'd still get up and try to lace the trick/stunt again. sometimes, i get hurt really bad and would not be able to skate for weeks, but once i've recovered i'd get my skates on and still lace the trick/stunt ; but of coz i'd still would have whined and skated in my mind, visualizing a stunt/trick, watch skate videos or play skating games on PS2.

It has taught me to never give up, it hurts when you fall ; try jumping off a 1 storey building or getting your nuts get caught in between the rails or knocking your head and then try to lace the trick/stunt again. Takes heaps of courage, or in my terms, lotsa balls to be doin that.

So yes, never to give up, that what it has taught me, no matter how hard it is, no matter how bad the fall is, no matter what people around you say or try to stop you getting on that rail and riding it off...the satisfaction of accomplishing it is indeed a great feeling i'd have to admit.

At the early stage you could hardly afford a brand new pair of rollerblades( i started off with the rm60 parkson grand skates my sis got me ) , then you save up and get a decent pair, next you want to try out almost all the pair of rollerblades in the market ; some slides better, some bites your feet, some is loose, some breaks...then you come to a pair which you stick for a long time, not that you cant afford a new pair ; you just want to make the best of what you already have. there's no escaping from customizing it of course :)

Of course everything comes in stages, from learning how to stand on a pair of skates, to just roll, to jump, to step up to a trick, to go in high speeds , to get used to that rail which might knock the fcuk out of you and to be lacing tricks/stunts which kids will be talking till their end of time.

Of course, there's the whining, the pain, the i can't and i shouldnt's and the injury time outs and the lazyness or the chill period and the skate less and make more money days.

I never did like hearing 'no' but over the years it made me step back and wonder why are there so many 'no's' , is there something i am not doing right? i cogitate.

Skating brought me to many different heights, its not boosting if i'd say i am a legend in my field and of course i humble myself and acknowledge the guys who are still working really hard in something we love and are passionate about, gave me tons of exposure and i've earned very reliable life mates a guy could have.

It taught me not to be a quitter. I never quit, i may divert if i had to, but i know it has taught me to pick myself up and try and try and try again till i lace it. i don't quit.

Comments